What to do when a content author leaves the company
Posted 07/14/2016 by Paul Tiemann
It happens all the time, a content author leaves the company.
What is your first thought? Protect the site by deleting their Sitecore account? No not so fast.
- If you delete an account, you lose the history of any item versions the user edited as Sitecore will change the user in the history to the Anonymous account.
- If the user has left any items locked, only a Sitecore administrator can unlock them.
Here's what to do when someone no longer should be able to access Sitecore.
1. Change their password.
- Open User Manager
- Select the user
- Select Change Password
- Sitecore won't let you change a password unless you know the old one but of course you don't.
- You need to generate a new random password.
- Copy that new password into the old password field.
- Type in a new password for the user. (you could use the generated password but that's usually a lot harder to type)
2. Check for locked items.
It's fairly likely that your former colleague has left a few items locked.
- Open the content editor
- On the review tab, select "My Items".
- This is the My Items list.
- Review any items pending and unlock them.
- You can also use the workbox if you are using workflow to manage the items.
3. Disable the users account
- Log off from the old users account, navigate back to the user manager and disable the account.
That's it, your done. You have retained the history of a user, and prevented a panic call when a someone needs to edit an item and can't because it's locked.